Colorado and Texas Weekends

The last weekend of Christmas break Joey came to Colorado to visit and then help me drive back. As usual, I had planned tons of stuff for us to do in a short amount of time, so the activities started as soon as we left the airport.

We went to Keystone and went tubing. Joey had never been in the mountains in Colorado in the winter, so it was fun to show him how everything worked. I heard the story about the first time he skied (and maybe the only time…) while we were on our way there. I told him we’d teach him to ski someday, but after hearing that story, I think we need to wait awhile. He borrowed winter clothes from Dad and the boys and I brought him several options of boots, gloves, hats, etc. to choose from. I was so shocked at his desire to wear Dad’s beloved Mukluk boots. I could not stop laughing at how he looked in them all day.

We drove back to Colorado Springs that night, so it was a long day of driving. We love each other’s company though, so we had a good time.

The next night, we went to the Nuggets game. It was the first one either of us had been to! I had been telling Joey for a month that I got us seats at the very top, but I actually got us seats down low.

On Saturday, we woke up early and went to the park to play basketball. I don’t know why I always agree to that because I lose every single time, but we still have a good time. We spent the rest of the day with my family. Mom wasn’t there because she was helping Kat drive to the east coast, but Dad, Theo, Jeff, and Helen were very excited to have Joey there. My WHOLE family loves him so much and I love that. They constantly ask about him and I really do think that they are more excited to see him than me most of the time, but I am just fine with that 🙂

We went to an Air Force Basketball game and then Theo and Jeff spent the afternoon with us. We went to the Manitou Springs Penny Arcade and on a sunset hike.

This is what turned into an overly competitive skeeball tournament. I love this picture because Theo and Jeff are just listening to Joey and smiling and laughing, which is what they do 100% of the time they are with him.

I was a total 4th wheel this entire day, but I still loved it.

We took so many pictures on this hike (at my request, of course) because I was hoping to get a good one, but we struggled a lot. These are the best ones we got and they aren’t that great! We had to run almost the whole way down because it was getting dark and we had to make it Helen’s soccer game.

After spending time in California over break and in Colorado where it was also nice weather, I was absolutely not ready to go back to the freezing temperatures in Nebraska. The only things that got me to go back were: that I didn’t have to drive alone and that we were going to Texas 5 days later.

We flew to San Antonio late Friday night and stayed for our 3 day weekend for MLK day. We spent most of the plane ride having conversations by reading each other’s lips. Thinking about this makes me laugh because we always find random ways to entertain ourselves.

It was in the low 60’s while we were there and everyone was wearing their winter coats except for us. The first day we were there, we walked along the River Walk, ate really good Mexican food, went to the top of the Tower of the Americas, went to Pat O’Briens, and went to the Spurs game with Cav. He is there for his training right now, so it was really fun to be able to see him.

We realized after we got back that we did not take any pictures together the entire weekend. This day was the 500th day we had been dating though, and it was so much fun. One of my favorites for sure.

We went to two NBA games in one week, so Stubhub thinks we are huge fans now.

On our second morning, we went to the Guenther House for breakfast. It was so good. We agreed that the cinnamon roll we got there was the best one either of us had ever had. The waitress brought us a to-go box to put our leftovers in, but we finished the entire thing.

After we finished eating, we walked along the river until we were downtown. We were so full that it almost hurt to walk, but it was a really nice day and very worth it.

It was a little bit cooler the second day, but I really wanted to wear my dress, so that is why I am wearing my leggings and tennis shoes with my dress…

Cav came and picked us up and he showed us around the base. He was able to show us the good restaurants he knew about, so we ate a lot of good food while we were there.

On our last day there, Joey’s Aunt who lives in San Antonio took us to Gruene. We went to lunch there and walked around in all of the shops. It was so nice out that I couldn’t stop sneezing because of my allergies.

Weekend adventures got me through January. I hope they can help me get through the rest of the cold weather and school work this semester. I miss the sunshine and I am ready for warm weather again. Texas is the 11th state we have been to together, so we can check it off the list. I am sure we will be back though 🙂